Hello... I'm Kelechi Ngaka a computer scientist who makes things (code/food/designs), and welcome to my awesome blog powered by Blogger

to Code or not to Code?

+
Recently I was presented with a job. It was from a friend and I had to solve a problem in 2hrs. Most times jobs like this are evil and requires a certain level of experience *evil genius*. From past projects / works done I never get paid for mischievous programs like this (e.g Mailer 2012) and I found myself between cross-roads

Whether to Code or not to Code?


The task was challenging and we quickly devised sub-optimal solutions. My friend reconsidered and we settled for the "best-sub-optimal" solution. With this I started downloading resources, tools to use and Google became my programming assistant by answering all issues I encountered. It took me 5 hours that night to completely finish designing the web app. Tested with IIS then uploaded files to my preferred server.

As Karma wanted to get us, every file was fine except Web.config file.The host site showed errors coming from the Web.config file which was automatically generated by Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. The errors were in french and I had to use Google to translate to English. This required me to delete and upload a modified Web.config. I repeated this process for more than 11 times because of the iterative generation of errors. It got to a point I was frustrated and deleted blocks of codes in the Web.config file. At the end the app ran and can be viewed via mobile or web devices.

Sent link to client and a day later he messaged me
"10ks bro it worked" - I felt accomplished

Lastly, coders should be careful of the *evil* applications you write or might come across one day. One thing I would advise is before jumping into developing apps that would send you behind bars, always weigh the app on a scale of "very good" to "very bad" and ask yourself the what if's (What if the app is monitored). This will urge you to learn to cover your tracks (Hacker Mode). Learn not to include real ID's in app and registration, don't comment in codes, use dummy accounts, get proxies etc.
 

Last year - I wrote a web-robot (Lets Hack Swift) that generated voucher pins to recharge my SWIFT account via web. 2 months later they called my cell telling me "They noticed I have been experiencing problems recharging my account" and I gave them some cool story telling them "it was my ATM and that I wasn't in town" . They almost got me there